Monday 16 August 2010

A Lazy Sunday

The Girls came over from London and Southampton on Saturday, which turned out to be a stormy day filled with torrential rain.  Nonetheless, we had amples of fun buying an ambitious amount of alcohol and mixtures and slogging home in the downpour.  It was lovely catching up with them, as I have not seen some of them for over a year - another scary indication of how fast time flies.  Originally we were planning on a cocktail session at home, then a leisurely mini pub-crawl.  One pub later and we were back in the house sipping hot chocolate and ready for bed!  How the times have changed and I really am beginning to feel old! Luckily for me, I was not the first to cave so the "host" can not be blamed for the end of the "party"...

 
My messy worktop

A morning chat, some rustling and mini activity of packing later and I hugged The Girls goodbye.  The end of one event and another unexpectedly appears.  One machine wash load later and I found myself entertaining The Anthropologist and Pixie Boy.  Originally I was supposed to have met up with people from Ceroc in University Parks for a picnic.  Needless to say, by the time I had finished two wash loads, made a batch of coconut cupcakes and for Mini to come over, it was hardly worth the hour and half trek to the picnic.  Sabotage was in order, so a quick text later and we were off to our own picnic in the park down the road... which I must say I approved of much more.  I am all for energy conservation and a walk longer than an hour just seemed unnecessary on a Sunday afternoon.  Another friend met us up in the Park, contributing Jaffa cakes and giant chocolate buttons and we were set to enjoy a beautiful afternoon which turned into an equally stunning evening.

Raspberry-Filled Coconut Cupcakes
(Makes 10-12)


Ingredients:
  • 50g Butter
  • 50g Self raising flour
  • 50g Dessicated coconut
  • 50g Caster sugar
  • Raspberry Jam
  • Icing Sugar to dust
Method:
  1. Pre-heat the oven to gas mark 4/180C/350F Cream the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy
  2. Gradually whisk in the egg
  3. Whisk in the coconut
  4. Fold the flour into the mixture until just incorporated
  5. Spoon teaspoon mixtures into cupcake cases until 3/4 full
  6. Bake for 15-20 minutes until risen and the sponge bounces back when lightly pressed.
  7. Leave to cool and make beat the jam in a bowl to soften
  8. Cut a cone out of the centre of each cake, fill with jam and replace.
  9. Dust the cakes with icing and enjoy!  
NB: I wanted to make a small batch of cupcakes for a small picnic and made these.  I wanted frosting but from experience knew it would be hard to transport so opted for a filling instead, which means if need be, the cupcakes can be stacked.  


    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Scrap Busting the Matryoshka Way

    I got gifted this doll pattern from Bee Sew Inspired and it's been on my want to make list since it came out. Initially I had a fleet of...