Tuesday 19 October 2021

Scrap Busting the Matryoshka Way



I got gifted this doll pattern from Bee Sew Inspired and it's been on my want to make list since it came out. Initially I had a fleet of Christmas hanging decorations in mind but the smallest one is actually bigger than I thought so I might brave shrinking it more next time. They come in 3 sizes: 6", 8" and 10" - I was only going to make one but you know... they' re so addictive and satisfying I had to make them all! 



This is the perfect project for those bits of scraps I've been saving - in fact everything but the felt faces and trims came from the scrap bin. I love how they all come together into an eclectic collection that just sings of the joy of mixing prints and colours. 


We inherited a beautiful wooden Matryoshka doll set a couple of years back from our late great nan. The kids would play with them for hours and it was the most beautiful items to remember her by. I read up a little on what they represent after a friend commented they were their symbol of motherhood and it's a really cute and empowering story! Each doll represents a mother with a child in her womb, passing down their legacy through all the generations. I've now added to the dolls with my textile ones and it's been lovely looking at them in a row reminiscing about our past family, feeling grateful for my current family and looking forward to future generations to come. A really powerful visual to remind us of how empowered we are as women - experiencing the development of our babes within us, watching them grow and possibly create a family of their own all the while displaying traits and habits picked up from family!



I loved making this project! I used PVA glue on the smallest and first doll but switched to Fusible web on the other two as it was much tidier. I hand embroidered their sweet faces and machine stitched everything else down! I love how this pattern doesn't have to be felt so I used whatever I could find in my scrap pile. 



Most of my fabric came from Minerva.com and my pattern came from Bee Sew Inspired over at https://www.beesewinspired.com/product-page/matryoshka-winter-doll-ornament




No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrap Busting the Matryoshka Way

I got gifted this doll pattern from Bee Sew Inspired and it's been on my want to make list since it came out. Initially I had a fleet of...