Thursday 26 May 2011

Oaty Apple Cookies

I feel I should start this entry with a fat apology. I think it’s safe to say I’ve hit my first blogger’s block, although it’s not just the writing but the cooking too. Recently I’ve started a new job alongside my current one, which means I have practically no time to indulge in adventurous cooking or baking. A few days ago though I was reading a new entry by the Traveller’s Lunchbox blog and noticed a tempting cookie recipe. I thought about how much work I had to do and sadly left it alone. Last night however, after getting home from my second job, I decided I didn’t want to go back to work yet again and so began a soothing session in the kitchen. Tiredly I roamed around gathering bowls, spoons and scales, but as I laid my equipment out, a happy serenity floated over me. Tired I might be, but I’ve really missed baking; the weighing out of raw ingredients, the relaxed combining of everything into luxurious dough, filling the kitchen with a deliciously sweet aroma. How can one feel down with the scent of warm cinnamon and apples permeating through all the rooms of the house?

Thank you Miss Designer for seeing how I am and reminding me of my neglect of my poor blog. Hopefully as I adjust to new work hours, I will make time for more cooking and baking sessions, because like baking I’ve missed writing on my blog too!

Below is a cookie recipe adapted from and inspired by a recipe shared by the Traveller’s Lunchbox.  I decided to go for a fruitier option with oats instead of chocolate. After Easter, I find the joys of chocolate have left me somewhat and I welcome treats which omit it completely.

Soft Cinnamon, Oats and Apple Cookies
(Makes 8 large cookies)

Ingredients:
  • 5.5oz/160g Plain flour
  • ½ tsp Baking powder
  • ¼ tsp Bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 large Egg
  • 4oz/100g Butter, melted
  • 2.5oz/75g Brown Sugar
  • 2.5oz/75g Granulated sugar
  • 1 Tbsp (15ml) vegetable oil
  • 1oz/25g Porridge oats
  • 1oz/25g Mixed Fruit
  • 1 Apple, cubed (5mm) – about 4.5oz/125g prepared weight

Method:
  1. Preheat Oven to GM6/200C/400F
  2. Coat the apples in 1Tbsp of the white sugar and place in the oven to dry out for about 15-20 minutes – checking occasionally.
  3. Mix together the flour, oats, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and set aside.
  4. Add to the melted butter the oil and mix well. Add the sugar and eggs and whisk until smooth.
  5. Fold in the flour mixture until evenly mixed then add the mixed fruit and apples and mix until evenly distributed. 
  6. Chill the mixture for 5-10 minutes until firm enough to roll into 8 golf ball sized pieces, then put on a tray and freeze for at least 30 minutes.
  7. Preheat the oven to GM6/200C/400F and lay about 4 balls of dough to a tray, spaced at least 5cm/2inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to GM3/160C/325F and bake a further 10-15 minutes until the edges are golden. Switch the oven off and leave the cookies to cool on the sheet before moving to a wire rack. I left my cookies to set in the oven for about 5 minutes before removing to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scrap Busting the Matryoshka Way

I got gifted this doll pattern from Bee Sew Inspired and it's been on my want to make list since it came out. Initially I had a fleet of...